Monday, August 15, 2016

Passport




I just got asylum, but don't have a passport -- how do I travel?

Question:

A judge granted me asylum because I received death threats while working
as a journalist in my country. Now I want to continue work as a journalist
internationally, but my country's embassy refuses to renew my passport.
Is there still a way I can travel outside the United States?

Answer:

Yes, you can apply for what's called a "refugee travel document," allowing you to return to the United States after temporary travel abroad. Instructions for submitting the application can be found in LEGiTiGO's site.

You did not mention what country you are from, but that's the one country to which you should not travel. If you do, the U. S. government may decide that you no longer fear persecution there after all. If that happens, it may take away your asylum status.

If you want to travel abroad, you will need a passport. A refugee travel document is basically the equivalent of a passport for asylees and refugees who need to travel outside the U.S. temporarily. If you are a U.S. asylee or refugee, and you want to preserve your right to stay in the U.S. after traveling temporarily abroad, you must apply for a refugee travel document before you leave the United States. You can also obtain a refugee travel document if you are a lawful permanent resident (LPR) (you have a green card) as a result of having been an asylee or a refugee.

No comments:

Post a Comment